One of the most popular questions we have been getting the past week is ‘How do I return my Library books ?’ There are currently three options right now:
1. If you are on campus packing up your dorm Monday – Friday from 9 am – 2:30 pm, you can drop them off at the library, which will be staffed weekdays from 9 am – 3 pm.
2. If you are on campus packing up your dorm Saturdays and Sundays, there will be a clearly marked bin outside our loading dock doors (facing the AIC building) which you can deposit all your borrowed books (no tech items, please!) .
3. If you can’t take advantage of the first two options, you can leave your borrowed books and tech items in your dorm, and Res Life said they will be collecting the items and returning them to the Library.
Under NO circumstances can you return your Bookstore ‘rentals’ to the Library – you must return them yourself to the Bookstore. We are not responsible for returning your loans to the bookstore. No exceptions!!
If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Library at 401-232-6125 (Monday – Friday, 9 am – 3 pm) or chat with a librarian in the chat box on our homepage.
So you’re all probably aware by now that we have second generation iPads and Amazon Kindle e-readers that we lend out here at the library, but were you aware of the other cool toys we have available for you to check out now?
- Student Laptops – We’ve had laptops for you to check out for student use in the library for several years now, but this year there’s a big change to our process: now they can actually leave the building. Working on a project and your laptop is on fritz, or maybe you don’t have one at all? You can now check out one of ours for up to a week, with a renewal period of an additional week (please note that these are for matriculating Bryant undergrad and graduate students only).
- Rosetta Stone Laptops – We now have 7 laptops that come loaded with Rosetta Stone language software to help you learn French, Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin), Japanese, Gaelic, Russian, and Italian (1 language per laptop). Bryant students, faculty, and staff members can check these out for up to 4 weeks, with a renewal period of an additional 2 weeks.
- Kindle Fires – Besides the regular Amazon Kindle e-readers, we now also have Kindle Fire tablets available to lend to Bryant students, faculty, and staff. These Android-powered tablets can hook up to your Amazon account, allowing you to purchase ebooks and magazines (and download any previous purchases), as well as download a variety of apps (Comixology looks great on this, if I may offer a suggestion). These can be checked out for a week and renewed for an additional week.
- Lenovo ThinkPad Slates – These tablets are also Android-powered, but come with a detachable USB keyboard/case and stylus, making them sort of the midpoint between a laptop and an iPad. Bryant students, faculty, and staff can check these out for a week (and renew for another week), download apps through Google Play (Comixology also looks great here… just sayin’), and really take it for a spin.
The iPads and Kindles aren’t going anywhere, and are still available for your use, but we heartily encourage you to explore and play with these other awesome options we now offer. And as always, if you have any questions, stop by, call (232-6125), or email (circdesk AT bryant DOT edu) us!
Looking to learn more about your Kindle, or maybe just hoping to get some suggestions for new books to download? Then come to the next Kindle Brown Bag Lunch event on Tuesday, January 17th, from 1 to 2 pm in Gulski Dining Room. Library staff will be on hand to help discuss and demonstrate the latest tips and tricks to get the most out of your Kindle, as well as provide an opportunity for users to swap hints and recommendations of their own. Bring your lunch and join in!
Yup. We’re getting the Kindle Fire. Several of them, in fact. We don’t have an exact date to tell you, unfortunately, as they don’t get released to retail until November 15th, and Amazon is apparently honoring pre-orders in the order in which they were received, so while we’re hoping we get ours in that initial batch, we don’t know for sure.
But given how excited you all get for the Kindles and iPads we already have, we figured this e-reader/tablet lovechild would be the sort of thing that would also catch your fancy. So, if that’s the case, consider your fancy officially caught.
More information as we get it, of course.
UPDATE: The Kindle Fires now have an estimated delivery date of sometime between November 21 and November 29. Get excited.
Don’t let all the excitement about the iPad make you forget that we still have Amazon Kindles to loan out to Bryant students, faculty, and staff, too. Same system as always: available on a first-come, first-served basis (no holds), one week check-out period, and an optional one-week renewal.
For more information on the Kindle initiative, check out this page, and for a list of our ever-growing number of titles available on the Kindles, click here.